Focus on These Things - Charles R. Swindoll | Sermon Notes

The sermon :
Published on Apr 12, 2018
Chuck Swindoll, pastor of Stonebriar Community Church in Plano, TX, talks through the mindset and character of believers and offers truths for living.

Watch it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvScz0U-a8


Notes

Philippians 4:8–9

[8] Finally, brothers:
whatever is true
whatever is honorable
whatever is just
whatever is pure
whatever is lovely
whatever is commendable
if there is any excellence
if there is anything worthy of praise
- think about these things. 

[9] What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (ESV)

| 15 Things I Wish I Would Have Done

1. Tell people now what I think of them
2. Things I'm not even aware of are being noticed and remembered
3. Being real is always better than acting pious.

- Nothing touches people deeper than authenticity. Just be what you are.

4. There is a huge difference between letting things flow and forcing them.

- I’ve learned that when the Lord is in it there’s a flow and it’s beautiful. When I am driving there’s force and usually the result is a big regret.

5. It’s unwise to talk someone into or out of a big decision.

- That’s God‘s job. I have cautioned people about marrying someone and have never regretted that, and have regretted not cautioning someone about someone they were going to marry but that’s another subject.

6. Some people aren’t going to change no matter what.

- It’s not your fault, and it’s not your responsibility. I used to worry myself sick over people who wouldn’t change and now (waves hand) you’ll notice the silence

7. Saying less is always better than saying too much.

- I have seldom felt sorry for things I did not say.

8. Perception overshadows reality.

- What people perceive is usually more powerful than what really is and they are often wrong.

9. Grace is worth the risk.

- Especially with my children. Most of you are too hard on your kids. Take it from one who was. If I regret anything in my life it’s that I wasn’t as good of a dad as I could have been and should have been. I was too busy, at times to demanding, and two I was too busy, at times to demanding, and too rigid.

10. I’ve learned to stop saying always and never when it comes to the future.

- "I’ll always do so and so, I’ll never do so and so." every time I’ve said that it’s come back and I’ve had to eat my words so I don’t use those words anymore. Never say never and get rid of always.

11. Time spent with my family is always an excellent investment.

- It’s never a waste of time.

12. Days of maintenance are far more than days of significance.

- Maintaining ministry. That’s what most of it is about.

13. Forgiveness is essential.

- Get rid of your garage, hatred, resentment, and unforgiving spirit will come out in a dozen different ways all of them ugly.No matter who did what or sad what you always forgive.

14. Give credit where credit is due.

15. Stop trying to get the credit.


Final Thing - You can’t beat having fun.

Don’t save anything for a special moment.

- Every day you’re alive is a special moment. We now use our special China for every special occasion such as losing a parent or getting the sink unstopped. “Someday“ and “one of these days“ are losing their grip on my vocabulary.

Comments