Bible Reading w/ My Boys

Recently I've had the privilege to read through Romans as my 13 year old does and talk about what we've been reading. It's been awesome! I'm so thankful God has put it in his heart to have a desire to read his word. It started after church winter camp. It's also had a great effect on my 10 year old. As he sees his big brother reading the Bible, he wants to also. I'm loving this! As I'm writing this it has come to my mind that I need to tell my 13 year old that he is encouraging his little brother to grow in the Lord by being an example to him of a Christian who reads his Bible. Okay, now about how cool it was to read the Bible with my 10 year old last night... 

Last night my 10 year old asked if I'd read the Bible with him. It should have been a question I asked him! We read the Bible together as a family, but he wanted to read something else in the Bible with me. A while back I bought him a nice ESV Journaling Bible with lines on the sides of the pages for notes because he saw mine and showed interest in wanting a Bible like that. So of course I bought him one! When it arrived we sat down together on the porch and started reading together in Proverbs. I helped him decide what he might want to underline and even what notes to write about what we were reading. It was really cool! Tonight, though, was way cooler. This year my 10 year old has been homeschooled and my wife has been memorizing the first chapter of James with the kids. So when he asked me what we should read I started there because I knew he knew the first chapter but I wanted him to learn about what the rest of the book had. While reading it together he remarked that it felt like when he memorized it with Mom, but then when we read back through it together underlining and making notes he saw what was really in the text! He knew the words but he said he didn't realize there was so much great stuff in there. I remember him saying, "I think this is the best chapter of the Bible I've ever read," and "there's so much good stuff in here." It was such a joy to see him decide what stood out to him to underline and write his own notes from reflecting on the text. Such a cool night. One of those great father moments.

Comments