Why do you Journal? | Lecture Notes

From this Ask Pastor John podcast episode:
https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/why-do-you-journal

Two Kinds of Journaling

1. Dairy journal keeping
narrate your life, reflect on God's hand
a record of God's faithfulness and your failures and successes for your humility and encouragement
remind yourself of God's wonderful kindness to you

2. Thought Notebook
insight clarification
insight preservation
recording what's going on in your head and heart more than what's going on in your life

- John Piper tends to journal the 2nd kind but it's often life issues that prompt the insights
- writing out your thoughts helps you know what you think
- John Piper "...go so far as to say I don't know what I think until I write it down sometimes. My mind is so muddled until I start to sort it out on paper or the screen. Almost everything worth thinking through is more complex than I can hold in my head all at once.
- while I write one thought to the next my brain forms connections and I'm thinking things I never would have begun to think had I not put them down on paper
- idea or thought clarification is great for journaling - most of this is wrestling with the bible. What does it mean for my marriage? My parenting?
- What if the Holy Spirit illuminates something for you during your quiet time and you forget it the next day? That's bad stewardship. Journaling alleviates that.
- Huge signifigance for people in leadership to journal so they can speak and articulate clearly
- reading makes a full man, conference (conversation) makes a ready man, and writing makes an exact man - exact meaning, use language with precision
- leading with fog is doing a disservice to the people they are leading
- I count journaling as one of the most important habits of my life.

Comments